Friday, July 13, 2012

Free Pattern Friday: 1952 Chevron Top

I have long been a fan of Liz over at Zilredloh, who regularly posts free patterns on her blog.  In fact, she and Bex from Subversive Femme have both shared oodles of free patterns over the years.
Wendy over at the Vintage Pattern Files is linking up a lot of the free patterns out there.

Anyway, in honour of these very generous ladies, I thought I might share one or two of the patterns I have acquired over the years.

This is a pattern from a 1952 Bernat Handicrafter booklet.  I am thinking it was a summer one, because it featured this rather lovely top.

1952 Bernat Handicrafter Pattern

I have a thing about chevrons, and this top, features a nice strong chevron pattern.  This textured look is very nice, and I think rather slimming in its effect.  It looks rather good with the circle skirt doesn't it?

Close up of chevron pattern.


This could readily be made in a nice cotton, either fingering or sport weight- depending on needle size :)
Those little pearl buttons make it look really classy, but I am sure you might try something different!

If you decide to make this, please, drop me a line and let me see the finished product!

1952 Chevron Top

You can download the pattern from this link here.  It is a PDF file, so you will need a PDF reader like Adobe Acrobat.  If you need a different format, just let me know!

Happy Knitting.

5 comments:

  1. That's very pretty :o) May I ask how you managed to upload it so it can be printed. I have a beret pattern I wish to share but I can't work out how - I'm not great with technology :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lucy :)
    OK, so I have Open Office on my machine (it's free, just google it) and with that I turned it into a PDF. Having done that, I uploaded it to Google Docs (also a free thing ;)) and allowed it so anyone with the link could access it. Post the link here, and voila, PDF ready to print. If you have Cute PDF, you can even print to a PDF instead! Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice thing to know is...you can download these PDF files to your Kindle. You can change the font size and page orientation to view. It also fits nicely in your knitting bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so far behind on my blog reading that I have only just spotted this. Thank you for the mention and also a big thank you for pdf-ing (I'm sure that's not a real term) the pattern I shall be linking it up ASAP! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind shout-out Rachel! What a lovely chevron top you decided to share. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.