Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Washday 1916

This little piece was sent to us in a Church newsletter, and I thought it deserved repeating.
It is a receipt for washing clothes and appears as written.

1. Bilt fire in backyard to heet kettle of rain water.
2. Set tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if wind is pert.
3. Shave one hold cake lie soap in billin water.
4. Sort things, make three piles. 1 pile white, 1 pile collored, 1 pile work britches and rags.
5. Stir flour in cold water to smooth, then thin down with bilin water.
6. Rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, then bile. Rub collored don't bile, just rinch in starch.
7. Take white things out of kettle with broomstick handle then rinch, and starch.
8. Hang old rags on fince.
9. Spread tee towels on grass.
10. Pour rinch water in flower bed.
11. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
12. Turn tubs upside down.
13. Go put on house dress, smooth hair with side combs. brew cup of tee, sit and rest and rock a spell and count blessings.

This was taken from an old newspaper article, which then advises the readers to "hang this above your automatic washer, and when things look bad, read again". :)

(Translations: billin/bilin is boiling, bile is boil, rinch is rinse.)

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I love how they used the water to water flowers and scrub the porch. And my favorite was brewing a cup of tea after!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.