Friday, May 04, 2007

BOOK REVIEW: Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology


Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology by Eric Brende

Better Off is a fascinating and well written account of a year amongst an Amish-like community somewhere. Brende recites with a natural talent, his (and his wife’s) experience living in the ‘Minimite’ community.

The Brendes were not fans of technology, believing the machine to have become the master, rather than the other way around. In search of something better, they spend a year among the Minimite community, and the lessons they learned.

Ultimately, you will find yourself wanting the simpler life- something many of us are already striving for. And while Brende ultimately does not live with the Minimites forever, he takes to heart the lessons he learned there… lessons on how to be a member of a community, how to ‘out-think’ hardships and how ultimately, our reliance on technology, makes life harder and leaves us with less time.

Well written and well spoken!

* * * * 4 Stars.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one too, Rachel. Very, VERY good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it--i found it a very brilliantly expressed book!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your comments, so please feel free to leave them or message me if you cannot!
I will try and reply as much as I am able :)

I have turned on word verification because I am getting spammed without it! You can always use the audio feature if you can't read the words.